Alamo Head Injury Association

Service Providers

Print/PDF version

Alamo Head Injury Association Logo

Quick Links to Service Providers

This resource guide is not endorsed by any particular agency or organization. It is edited and maintained by the Alamo Head Injury Association. The purpose of this site is to provide assistance and information to brain injury survivors and their families.

A brain injury survivor and family may experience many changes and needs as a result of the crisis. This site has been created in general terms, and is not intended to provide all the answers but rather to be only a guide to available assistance. Since head Injury effects are different with every individual, the resources and services listed here may not apply to everyone.

Finally, this resource guide is not intended in any way to be a substitute for the services of legal counsel, nor is it a recommendation of services provided by the named organizations.


Children's Association for Maximum Potential (C.A.M.P.)
(210) 671-5411
Provides recreation, respite, rehabilitation and reorientation for children with severe developmental disabilities or chronic illnesses.

The Children's Emergency Shelter of San Antonio
(210) 212-2500
Emergency residential care is provided to children 12 years old and younger whose families are experiencing a crisis or emergency.

Social Security Administration
S.S.I. (Supplemental Security Income) Provides monthly benefits for families with a child who is disabled. Eligibility depends on the number of people in the family and gross income.

Special Education Department
Contact your school district's Special Education Department. Homebound teacher or classes may be available to meet the special needs of your child.

Early Childhood Intervention (ECI)
or visit
For children under the age of three. A diagnosis is not necessary for a referral. This program helps families help their children reach their potential through developmental services. Services are available throughout Texas.

Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)
For patients under the age of 21. Eligibility is based on the child's income, not the family's. This program can provide support services such as respite, home modifications and adaptive aids.

Project Mend
(210) 223-6363
Serves as the connecting link to collect donated equipment and then makes it available to those who most need it on a loan basis. Must be disabled or meet low incomerequirement to receive equipment.

Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN)
(210) 949-2157
Assist children with physical disabilities in receiving needed medical services, adaptive equipment, prescriptions, rehabilitative services, transportation, meals and lodging. Family support services are available to CSHCN to help with respite, vehicle modifications and minor home modifications. Case management services are also provided by social workers to help access services and resources. Must be between the ages of 0-21, have a health condition, meet financial guidelines, and be a Texas resident.

(back to the top)


Community Counseling Service of Our Lady of the Lake University
(210) 434-1054
Provides counseling services to individuals, couples, families and groups in the San Antonio and surrounding area. Fees based upon household income and family size. Insurance accepted.

Family Life Center
(210) 436-3113
Provides therapy and family life education for individuals, couples and families. Services available to anyone. Fees based upon income of client.

Family Service Association of San Antonio
(210) 299-2400
Provides counseling, support groups, homemaker/home health services to people of all ages.

Jewish Family and Children's Service
(210) 302-6920
Provides the following programs: counseling, senior services, victims of crime, case management, emergency financial assistance, and education.

Texas Department of Human Services (TDHS)
(210) 333-2004
TDHS will refer to services in the community with fees based on a sliding scale.

(back to the top)


Fisher House
(210) 673-7500
Provides lodging, food, and services to families of patients at Wilford Hall Medical Center for treatment of a serious illness or injury. Must reside permanently outside Bexar County. No fees.

Welcome Lodge of San Antonio
(210) 341-4746
The Welcome Lodge of San Antonio, until recently known as the Hospital Welcome Lodge, is a non-profit facility located in the Medical Center. It offers individual guest rooms, an open kitchen with four cooking stations, food preparation areas, a stocked pantry, and requisite cleaning stations. This area is complemented with a large dining room, family area, library, and laundry facilities.

Housing Authority of Bexar County
(210) 225-0071
Administers Section 8 Housing Assistance Program for families needing assistance in paying rent.

Housing Authority of San Antonio
(210) 477-6262
Assists families with rent payments. Family's portion based on 30 percent of income.

Ronald McDonald House
(210) 614-2554
Provides a home-like atmosphere where families can stay while their children are being treated in San Antonio. Requirements: ill children living outside of Bexar County and are 18 years of age or younger. Must be referred by social worker or doctor.

(back to the top)

Disability Rights, Texas
1-800-252-9108 or 210-737-0499
Their mission is to advocate for, protect and advance the legal, human, and service rights of people with disabilities.

Legal Hotline for Texans
Provides free intake and screening, benefits counseling, legal advice and consultation.

Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center
(210) 335-2128
Promotes the resolution of disputes through mediation and provides an alternative to litigation. No fees. Must be a resident of Bexar County.

Jewish Family and Children's Service
(210) 302-6920
Provides the following programs: counseling, senior services, victims of crime, case management, emergency financial assistance, and education.


Alamo Head Injury Association
(210) 614-4323
Support group meets the 4th Wednesday of the month from 6:00- 7:30 p.m. at various locations. Visit our website for more information:

Brain Injury Association, Texas

Brain Injury Association, National (BIAA)

(back to the top)


Transportation is an essential part of outpatient treatment and follow-up care. In certain circumstances, you may need assistance to and from medical appointments. The agencies listed below may provide transportation when you are absolutely unable to make other arrangements. Since their resources are limited and in great demand, riding and waiting times can be lengthy. Unless otherwise specified, these agencies require several days advance notice and may have long waiting lists. You might contact neighborhood churches or community centers to see if any transportation assistance is available.

Disabled American Veterans Suboffice
(210) 617-5300
Transportation for certain veterans to and from Audie L. Murphy for scheduled medical treatment.

Community Council of South Central Texas
Provides outreach, information and referral and emergency assistance in the areas of utilities, food, housing, transportation and medical needs.

Department of Community Initiatives
(210) 207-6680
Provides transportation for medical and business purposes and to the grocery store.

Medical Transportation (TDH)
Provides medical transportation services to Medicaid eligible. Provides services to Medicaid medical appointments. Means: van service/sedans (door to door), free VIA Trans tickets or free bus tickets.

Presa Transportation
(210) 532-5554
Curb-to-curb service. Operates Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Fare is $5.00 for each trip.

University Health System Mini-Bus
(210) 358-3858 or 358-4000
An hourly shuttle bus transports patients between University Health Center-Downtown, University Hospital South Texas Medical Center, University Family Health Center Southwest, and University Center for Community Health. No fees.

VIA Trans
(210) 362-2140
You must be certified by your physician as unable to ride public transportation for medical reasons. Call 362-2140 for an application or check with your hospital social worker. At least 10 working days needed to determine eligibility. One week scheduling notice required. $1.75 one way.

(back to the top)